Friday, April 23, 2010

Push Me - Pull You


“Have you been on a journey?”

“Yes.” There is the pause. The shifting. “Yes I have.”

“Will you tell me about it?”

“No.” Here is the firmness. “It is not my story alone. It’s not solely mine to tell.”

Then the unexpected.

“Why not?”

Between asking and answering there is the abyss.

The great yearning squirming blackness, not empty, but full. Moving so quickly that to others it looks still. Squiggling ropes of truth gathering round and twisting so that it looks framed in steel.

Youth will answer the question “I don’t know,” but Youth isn’t being asked .

Knowledge will answer the question with “Perhaps it is not time,” but Knowledge is keeping it’s own counsel at the moment.

Wisdom’s answer is silence. Wait long enough and the unexpected will change shape and become predictable.

Wait longer still. It will become a plea.

Time can change it to aggression, defiance, repetition, inevitability, ritual . . . .

“Why not?”

“Because if I tell you the story, you will still think it’s mine, but it will only be yours.”

1 comment:

Kelly said...

unique perspective.

I can see and hear tension, but maybe it is in my head.